The Fourth Annual Standup for the Cure in Newport Beach
May 2nd, 2015
Your Registration Fee includes:
- Free SUP Jersey
- Ruth’s Chris Lunch with alternative of Bear Flag Tacos
- Kona Brewing Happy Hour
- Live Music
- Free Breast and Skin Cancer Screening
- Silent Auction and Opportunity Drawing Raffle with amazing Prizes
- Free Lessons with the World SUP Champions at the Zane Schweitzer Clinic
- Entry to Fun Races for all the Family
Also remember to set up your Fundraising Team by clicking DONATE and compete to be the event’s top fundraiser for the fight against breast cancer
On Site Check in for Pre-Registrants will open at 9am.
If you prefer to register on site, please come promptly at 9am as space or complimentary SUP jerseys may be limited
If you prefer to register by mail versus on line, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you the registration form and return address.
Here’s a guide to the fun events planned for May 2nd, 2015!!!
The “Sea of Pink”
As the doves are released at 10am from the Hawaiian Blessing, at the sound of the Conch, everyone will go out on Paddleboards for a ceremonial parade around the water, led by our Ambassadors Zane Schweitzer, Suzanne Yeo and Georganna Wadsack. This is a parade in celebration of our breast cancer survivors, not a race, so please go out on a board even if you are a beginner. Two people on one board are welcome as well as kids and doggies!!! Let’s see how many we can muster for this celebratory parade!!
Fun 5K Race
This will follow the “Sea of Pink” celebration parade
Prizes will be awarded for top three places in the following categories: Men’s and Women’s Racing 12’6″ Men and Women’s Racing 14′ Men and Women’s Unlimited
The “Survivor Island Finish” for 5k race/fun paddle.
Top three paddlers in each division (12′-6″, 14′, unltd men/women) will be required to dig up a buried Kukui Nut lei in designated area before crossing finish line. Times will only be recorded for Top Three in each division. ***Remember why we are gathering…this is a Fun event meant to bring our community together in order to save lives.
This will follow the 5K Race and will be a “scavenger” race to pick up hidden treasure!
Team Relay Race
The Team who raises the most funds by 9am on May 3rd will get a starting advantage and there are great race prizes!!
Rental Standup Paddle Boards:
There are several companies who rent Standup Paddleboards but for our event we have great opportunities for all early pre-registrants
Contact one of these companies and explain that you are registered for Standup for the Cure and would like to rent a loaner board and paddle for a nominal charge. These fabulous companies have agreed with us that they will try to accommodate your board rental request:
Riviera Paddlesurf www.rivierapaddlesurf.com (949) 388-6999
Contact Mike Baker before April 27th to rent a board for the event at $30 for the whole time!!
Pirate Coast Paddle Company www.piratecoastpaddle.com (949) 278-0011
They are based out of Newport Dunes, 1131 Back Bay Drive Newport Beach
Each of our Sponsors will bring Demo boards for registrants to try at the event
Map and Directions to Newport Dunes, Newport Beach
Dan Van Dyck
Standup for the Cure Expands Nationwide in 2015
National Standup Paddling Series Starts with 4thAnnual Flagship Newport Beach Event
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. – March 10, 2015 – Standup for the Cure (SUFTC) kicks off its fourth year of fundraising with its flagship event Saturday, May 2 from 9:00am-3:00pm at Newport Dunes in Newport Beach, California. Over 1,000 participants are anticipated to come show their support of the Orange County Affiliate of Susan G. Komen. Top international paddleboard experts, including the famous Schweitzer family, will instruct participants of all levels. SUFTC National Sponsor Ambry Genetics, along with Presenting Sponsors, Riviera Paddlesurf, Kaiser Permanente, and GLOBHE, and supporting Sponsors ohSo! design, Emery Financial, Maui Jim, Kona Brewing Co., Ruth’s Chris Steak House, and Barefoot Winery are committed to the SUFTC motto: “Have Fun and Save Lives!” This combination of fun and social responsibility is a keystone of SUFTC’s tremendous popularity.
Entry fee for the Newport Dunes event is $35/person, and every $125 raised enables women in need access to breast cancer screening. Participants can register as a team or individual and/or donate here. To date SUFTC has raised over $350,000 in support of the Susan G. Komen, which provides valuable breast health services to local women in need.
“This is our fourth year and I am so proud of our accomplishments,” said Judie Vivian, SUFTC co-founder. “We’ve raised a tremendous amount of money in support of Susan G. Komen, but more importantly we’ve screened hundreds of women at our events, and brought the love and support of the paddling community to families impacted by breast cancer.”
Following the successful addition of their Miami event last fall, SUFTC is announcing a third event in Muskegon, Michigan this summer. “Anywhere there is a body of water and people passionate about ending breast cancer, we can host a Standup for the Cure event,” says National Event Director, Dan Van Dyck.
May 2nd Newport Dunes Events include:
- STANDUP PADDLEBOARD CLINIC taught by world-class SUFTC ambassadors, including the Schweitzer family. Other qualified instructors include Thomas Shahanian, Anthony Vela, Brennan Rose, and Matt Becker.
- SILENT AUCTION: Presenting Sponsor Riviera Paddlesurf has donated one of the limited edition SUFTC paddleboards. Other items include standup paddleboards from Isle SUP and Surf and Uli Boards, pink paddles from Quickblade and Kialoa, Maui Jim sunglasses, as well as Kona Brewing Company’s signature cruiser bike.
- MUSICAL ENTERTAINMENT
Johnny Love, a songwriter from Santa Ana, California, will perform. He has traveled across the U.S. spreading positive vibes and love through his music.
- FREE CANCER SCREENING: Breast cancer and melanoma screenings will be offered during the event. Cancer specialists from Kaiser Permanente will offer these at the Kaiser Permanente Health Expo. Expert counselors will be on hand to help participants understand how to get affordable healthcare.
- YOGA PADDLEBOARD CLINIC: The hottest yoga style is to practice on a paddleboard, giving the body a “core” workout from the added challenge of having to maintain one’s balance. Suzanne Yeo, SUFTC ambassador and breast cancer survivor, will lead the clinic.
- FOOD AND DRINK: Irvine’s Ruth’s Chris Steak House will provide lunch; Kona Brewing Company and Barefoot Winery will present a Happy Hour with live music.
- ACTIVITIES: The 2015 agenda include a Kids Race, a Surprise Format Pro Race, and the Kaiser Permanente Health Expo.
- “PINK” ATTIRE: Participants that register by April 30 will receive a complimentary custom pink SUP jersey from GreenLayer.
- PARKING: All-day parking is available at Newport Dunes for $6 per vehicle.
- “Dry Foot” participants can take part in all festivities without getting in the water
In support of the fight against breast cancer, participants can sign up as a team or individual through the Crowdrise site. More information can be found at the SUFTC website, via Twitter @StandUp4TheCure and on Facebook. For high resolution photographs from previous years’ events and for the upcoming May 2nd event, please contact our SUFTC official photographer Harry Weiwel (email@example.com, phone (562) 673-3481).
About Standup for the Cure:
Standup for the Cure is a unique not-for-profit support organization that introduces the breast cancer community to the healthy, active lifestyle of standup paddleboarding while raising money and awareness for early breast cancer detection, treatment, research and education.
Dan Van Dyck
SUFTC National Event Director
For all Media, including information and publications about previous events, please click HERE